Monday 26 May 2008

HE IS NOT DEAD, JUST SLEEPETH!

Yes, I know it's not his birthday until tomorrow but the party will go on all night at the House of Seven Gables!
Vincent Price is one of my top half dozen favourite actors of all time - but of that top five he occupies a very special place. Of my favourites he is the only one I have actually met. More, because to a degree I got to know him. I have dined with him, visited his dressing room at The Queens Theatre in London and even been on a car journey with him. I was lucky enough to see Vincent on stage in a production of ARDELE and at his John Player Lecture at the National Film Theatre. I first met Vincent through my friend, the late Michael Reeves, who directed him in WITCHFINDER GENERAL and was later lucky enough to visit the sets or locations for THE OBLONG BOX, THE ABOMINABLE DR.PHIBES, THEATRE OF BLOOD, MADHOUSE, SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN and CRY OF THE BANSHEE. I don't think I've heard anybody say a bad word about Vincent....probably because there isn't one to say. He was a very funny man to be with, a gracious host and a great actor. I feel privileged to have known him, even for what was a relatively, short period, but it was one of the great thrills of my life. Happy Birthday, Vincent!

Please give the video a few moments to load.





1 comment:

Cerpts said...

Bless your little heart for using a line from the immortal classic (and one of my all-time faves) THE COMEDY OF TERRORS to lead off this wonderful birthday tribute to Vincent!!! As I said on the Annex, I hang my head in shame about missing Vincent and Christopher's birthday (to say nothing of Peter Cushing's below) but can only plead an horrendous lack of time to devote to my blog this past week. Naturally, since no one HAS ever said a bad word about Vincent (or Boris or Peter Cushing either, come to think of it) I'm sure the old gentleman would forgive me.

You are sooooooooooo lucky to have even had a moment with Vincent let alone the many meetings you had with the great man. Also like Boris and Peter, Vincent was underrated as an actor. He naturally could slice up the ham when it was called for (endearing him to millions, by the way) but he could also excell at comedy (THE COMEDY OF TERRORS a prime example) as well as delivering a fine, smoldering performance in your friend Michael Reeves' WITCHFINDER GENERAL (no matter HOW that performance was cajoled). Also, for me one of my favourite performances by the man was in THE WHALES OF AUGUST in which Vincent plays a heartbreakingly stoic White Russian who has "spent his life visiting friends". The combination of loneliness and nobility should shut the mouth of ANYONE thinking Vincent wasn't a great actor! If only I could have met him to tell him so.