Sunday 10 August 2008

THE PRESTIGE (2006)


My initial reaction to this movie was diappointment. I really enjoyed much of the plot because it is set in the same milieu as the novel "Carter Beats the Devil" - the world of stage illusionists. When the film's twist was finally revealed I felt hugely let down that the story had moved into the world of science fiction. I spent the whole of the next day mentally deciding how I was going to express my disappointment on this blog. Finally, I sit at the keyboard and wham! I realise just how clever the film is...and how I really need to see it again and how it will become a different film. I'm not even sure that the film's ultimate twist is revealed to the audience if what one of the characters says is adhered to.....

So, I'm going to write absolutely nothing about the plot. If you've not seen it, do so. If you like it, watch it again and, more importantly, if you don't like it, still watch it again. Director is Chistopher Nolan and he's working with two of his Batman stars - Christian Bale and Michael Caine and Hugh Jackman is excellent as well. Look out for David Bowie in an important supporting role. Rating ***

3 comments:

Cerpts said...

Hmmmm, one of my favourite novels of the last few years was CARTER BEATS THE DEVIL so now I'm intrigued. And at least I'm forewarned about the "science fictiony twist" that so vexed you at first. So hopefully I won't be TOO bulldozered by it.

Cheeks DaBelly said...

At the time of it's release there was another movie that I had a difficult time of telling the two apart. The Illusionist was another dark period piece about a magician in turn of the century Vienna and for months I confused it with The Prestige and never saw the latter. My other half being a Hugh Jackman and Bowie fan noticed the different movies and persuaded me to rent it. I was very surprised at the ending but never felt it was disappointing. Usually when I see a movie based on "magic" or the like, I figure there will be some sort of science fiction or at least some sleight of hand (especially on the parts of the writers and directors)so I accept it and was alble to enjoy the movie. So much so that I was moved to find the novel by Christopher Priest and can report that as usual the novel (although slightly different) is better than the movie.

Weaverman said...

Yes, I too got this film mixed up with THE ILLUSIONIST. As far as THE PRESTIGE goes I think I felt that I'd been led down the wrong path by the film and it took me a little time to realise that this was the whole point. I look forward to reading the novel. Thanks for the comments.