Thursday 2 October 2008

The Return of Larry Talbot......


I really don't know how I feel about next year's THE WOLF MAN which as you might expect is a remake of the classic 1941 film starring Lon Chaney. I welcome a return to real period set gothic horror movies but....well, I don't think any fan has quite recovered from the debacle that was VAN HELSING and the disappointment of THE MUMMY (to be fair I quite enjoyed the latter but I'd like to have seen old Im-ho-tep given a more traditional resurrection) At the moment the signs look good. It really is about Larry Talbot (Benicio Del Toro) and it features the gypsy Maleva (Geraldine Chaplin) and Sir John Talbot (Anthony Hopkins) etc. and the director is Joe JOHNSTON who helmed the charming retro sci-fi film THE ROCKETEER. The stills look encouraging. Well we can only hope....

5 comments:

Terry Talks Movies said...

I'm looking forward to The Wolf Man - the cast and crew bode well for it, and Del Toro is an inspired choice for the role.

Aaron White said...

I must admit, in confession to your last post on my blog, that Contempt is only my second Godard expirience, though I greatly enjoyed Breathless. Truffaut is becoming one of my favorites though.

Weaverman said...

Confession not needed, Aaron. I've not seen a lot of the later Godard's myself. I just gave up after realising that he wasn't for me. I much prefer Truffaut and Chabrol, perhaps because they seemed more traditional filmmakers.
Godard was certainly influential though.

Weaverman said...

Must say, Terry, I look forward to it as well and agree about Del Toro. A gothic revival and more westerns is what I want!

Cerpts said...

Amen to that hope, Weaverman! All I can say in regards to the Wolf Man remakes is "Ohhhhhhhhh dear." Against all my better instincts, I still hope it's going to be good. But I've been burned so many times. Del Toro is indeed good casting, I think. As for the director, it's been so many years since I saw THE ROCKETEER that I can't remember it at all. However, the mere fact that you had to go back that far for the director's credit gives me pause. Of course, someone who was making THE ROCKETEER so many years ago might still remember how in fact to actually MAKE a good movie -- as opposed to the currently working hacks in Hollywood. I'm keeping my talons crossed that this remake will actually be a pleasant surprise.