Thursday 6 May 2010

A Great Heist Movie

This is not a review....that will come soon. While watching the documentary OIL CITY CONFIDENTIAL I was intrigued to see that they had edited into the film footage from a 1961 film called PAYROLL directed by Sidney (NIGHT OF THE EAGLE) Hayers. I first heard about this film at school when one of my teachers, who had seen it at the cinema the night before, told us how much he enjoyed it and gave us a detailed account of the heist that is the central setpiece of the movie. I went to see it a few days later and loved it. For years it seemed to have vanished but seeing those clips again made me check it out and there it was available on DVD quite cheaply at Amazon. It's now winging its way towards me and I'm quite excited about seeing it again. I remember that it was considered very violent and brutal for its day and this opinion seems borne out by the reviews in IMDb. And its got Billie Whitelaw in it!

1 comment:

Cerpts said...

Oooo!

Oooo! Ooooo! OooooOOOooooOOOO!

But seriously ladies and jellyspoons, this sounds like one promising movie going by all you said. AND Billie Whitelaw! Can't be bad!