Wednesday 5 January 2011

FILMS OF THE YEAR

This year I am dividing my favourite films of last year into three parts and three entries. As I no longer go to the cinema I am, as last year, picking films that are new to me rather than ones released in the last twelve months, although I have made an attempt at modernity by limiting my favourites of the year to films released since 2000. Yes, I am dragging myself into the 21st Century. A Further list will appear soon of older films I've particularly enjoyed during 2010 and that will be followed by a list of Rotten Tomatoes. So, here we go.....



My favourite film of the year just about made to the list as I caught it on its television transmission not long before Christmas (and promptly ordered the DVD from Amazon). I thought it was exciting, thrilling, funny, horrifying and beautifully acted - everything a film should be. It also happens to be the first film I have seen from South Korea. My film of the year is :

CHUGYEOGJA (The Chaser) 2008. Directed by Hong-jin Na. Starring Yun-seok Kim.



My Twelve runners up are :

APOCALYPTO (2006) Mel Gibson
BOYS FROM COUNTY (2003) John Irvin
DOUBT (2008) John Patrick Shanley
GOYA’S GHOSTS (2006) Milos Forman
I’M NOT THERE (2007) Todd Haynes
OIL CITY CONFIDENTIAL (2009) Julien Temple
ME AND ORSON WELLES (2008) Richard Linklater
PERFUME : THE STORY OF A MURDERER (2006) Tom Tykwer
PRARIE HOME COMPANION (2006) Robert Altman
THE WOLFMAN (2010) Joe Johnston
THE WRESTLER (2008) Darren Aronofsky
YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH (2007) Francis Ford Coppola

No comments: