Saturday 9 April 2011

TOP TEN MUSICALS


Cabaret


I've not reviewed many musicals on the blog. This does not mean I don't enjoy them. A good musical can be an uplifting piece of entertainment and can be enjoyed for many reasons. I am fond of both GREASE and the more recent MAMMA MIA not because they are particularly great pieces of filmmaking but simply because they were particular favourites of my late partner and gave her so much pleasure during the latter stages of her illness when she found concentration difficult. A friend of mine has just started his first blog, called LIFE IS A CABARET which will feature his views on musicals - both film and stage. In honour of his new blog I am listing here my first attempt to list my ten favourite musicals. I doubt if it is a definitive list as I struggled with not including such films as Stanley Donen and George Abbott's PAJAMA GAME and Alan Parker's EVITA and the omission of anything starring Doris Day, but I decided to go for just ten titles - although, perhaps, their will be more to said on the subject in the future. So, for now, in alphabetical order, ten musicals that I count among my very favourites.


1. THE BAND WAGON (1953)

2. CABARET (1972)

3. CHICAGO (2002)

4. 42nd STREET (1934)

5. HELLO DOLLY (1969

6. THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1975)

7. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1954)

8. A STAR IS BORN (1954)

9. TOP HAT (1935)

10 THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

42nd Street

3 comments:

wellyousaythat said...

My Top alpahabetical ten musicals are:
1. Blues Brothers
2. Bugsy Malone
3. Cabaret
4. Everyone says I love you
5. Hairspray(John Walters)
6. The Jungle book
7. The Producers
8. Sweet charity
9. Tommy
10. West side story

Cerpts said...

Would it subject me to ridicule if I were to say I haven't seen half the films on your list, Weaverman???

Weaverman said...

Cerpts, yes of course I will subject you to ridicule - it brightens up a dull day.