Tuesday 5 April 2011

THE TOWN (2010)

Almost without a hiccup, Ben Affleck completes his impressive transition from actor to actor/director with this first class crime drama inspired by the odd fact (you missed this one Stephen Fry) that the town of Charleston in Massachusetts has produced more bank and armoured car robbers than anywhere else in the world, the profession often being passed down from father to son. It's a tough, gritty and violent film that rarely puts a foot wrong - although I found the sentimental coda at the end a bit out of step with what had gone before. Performances are solid but I'd be amiss if I didn't mention the late Pete Postlethwaite as the very frightening Irish godfather. Rating ****

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Ooo, actually that sounds like a good'n and I movie I was hitherto unaware of but I'm gonna seek that one out too!

Jack Ibbetson said...

Agree with the above comment it looks pretty damn cool

http://isawthisfilm.blogspot.com/