Tuesday 12 April 2016

MY DVD COLLECTION 16



The Life of Brian (1979)

During a recent illness I developed an urge to see as many of the Hollywood epics set during the days of The Roman Empire. Several, naturally, deal with the story of Jesus, either directly or with subsequent events. QUO VADIS turned out to be much better than I remember and the accompanying documentary explaining its importance in Hollywood history was revelatory. THE ROBE turned out to be almost as good as its sequel, DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS. These may lack historical accuracy but they often have good screenplays which go beyond the mere spectacle. Films in my collection :  CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA (1945) QUO VADIS (1951) THE ROBE (1953) DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954)  BEN HUR (1956) BARABBAS (1961)  CLEOPATRA (1963)THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW (1964) THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965) FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE (1965) JESUS OF NAZARETH (1977) THE LIFE OF BRIAN (1979)  JULIUS CAESAR (1979) THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST (1988) GLADIATOR (2000) KING ARTHUR (2004) THE EAGLE (2011)

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1965)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not in your collection but you may have seen it - THE LAST LEGION. 2007. Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley, directed by Doug Lefler. A slight reference to King Arthur & Merlin if memory serves. In my opinion quite a good film.
(Thought I had posted this via my iPad but apparently not?)

Weaverman said...

Yes, a very entertaining film Keith. Another I watched recently was Anthony Mann's KING OF KINGS and a recent one called THE CENTURION....but none of them in my collection. I'm looking forward to RISEN.